Quality of life instruments for skull base pathology: systematic review and methodologic appraisal
- de Almeida, J. R., Witterick, I. J., Gullane, P. J., Gentili, F., Lohfeld, L., Ringash, J., Thoma, A., and Vescan, A. D.
- BACKGROUND: Several quality of life (QOL) instruments exist for skull base pathology, however, there have been no attempts to appraise and systematically review these instruments.
METHODS: We systematically reviewed MEDLINE, EMBASE, Central, AMED, Health and Psychosocial Instruments, and PsychoInfo for anterior or central skull base QOL instruments to January 2010. We queried experts, bibliographies, and meeting proceedings from the North American Skull Base Society from 2005 to 2009. Included instruments were evaluated for instrument characteristics, item generation and reduction, field testing, and measurement properties using predefined criteria.
RESULTS: We identified 9 QOL instruments: 7 measuring QOL for pituitary pathology, 1 for midface pathology, and 1 for anterior skull base pathology. Eight of the 9 instruments have had some psychometric testing. None demonstrated all of the predefined psychometric properties.
CONCLUSIONS: There are several QOL instruments for patients with skull base pathology. None of these instruments met all predefined requirements, and further instrument development is needed.
- Head Neck
- 1097-0347 (Electronic)
- Publication year:
- Functional status:
- Physical functioning
- Overall quality of life:
- Overall quality of life
- Adults (18-65)
- Congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities and related symptoms
Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases and related symptoms
Neoplasms and related symptoms
Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified
- PRO / non-PRO:
- Patient Reported Outcome
- Type of measurement instrument:
- 1 - Questionnaires
2 - Interviews
- AcroQOL - acromegaly Quality Of Life
AddiQOL - Addison Quality of Life
ASB-QOL - Anterior Skull Base Quality Of Life
HDQOL - Hormone Deficiency Dependent Quality Of Life
MDS - Midface Dysfunction Scale
QLS-H - Quality of Life Satisfaction Hypopituitarism
QOL-AGHDA - QOL Assessment of Growth Hormone Deficiency in Adults