Reliability, validity and responsiveness of instruments to assess disabilities in personal care in patients with rheumatic disorders. A systematic review
- Swinkels, R. A., Dijkstra, P. U., and Bouter, L. M.
- OBJECTIVES: The first aim was to make an inventory of available instruments and questionnaires for the assessment of disabilities in personal care in patients with rheumatic disorders. The second aim was to investigate which of these instruments have acceptable, methodological quality with regard to reliability, validity and responsiveness. The third aim was to investigate the assumption that convergent validity results in stronger correlations when validated against a more similar construct.
METHODS: A computer-aided literature search (1982-2001) in several databases was performed to identify studies focusing on the clinimetric properties of instruments to assess impairments in function in patients with rheumatic disorders. Data were extracted in a standardised way and compared to a priori defined criteria.
RESULTS: In total, 19 measurement instruments were included. Five out of these 19 were found to have acceptable reliability, while 12 had acceptable validity. Only three questionnaires met both criteria. Results concerning the responsiveness of these three questionnaires were conflicting. No difference was found in the strength of correlation between validation against the most similar construct versus validation against the least similar construct.
CONCLUSION: It is concluded that the Arthritis Impact Measurement Scale (AIMS) is the most suitable instrument for the assessment of disabilities in personal care.
- Clin Exp Rheumatol
- 0392-856X (Print)
- Publication year:
- Symptom status:
- Physical state
- Adults (18-65)
- Diseases of and symptoms related to the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue
- PRO / non-PRO:
- Patient Reported Outcome
- Type of measurement instrument:
- 1 - Questionnaires
6 - Clinical rating scales
- AIMS - Arthritis Impact Measurement Scales (Also short AIMS and shortened AIMS)
AIMS-D - Arthritis Impact Measurement Scale-Dutch [see: ZUYD (NL)]
D-AIMS-2 - Dutch Arthitis Impact and Measurement Scales-
GARS - Groninger Activity Restriction Scale [see: ZUYD (NL)]
HAQ (Also MHAQ)- Health Assessment Questionnaire (Also Modified Health Assessment Questionnaire) [see: ZUYD (NL)]
IRGL - Impact of Arthritis on Health and Lifestyle / Invloed van Rheuma op Gezondheid en Leefwijze [see: ZUYD (NL)]
MHAQ - Modified Health Assessment Questionnaire
sAIMS - Shortened Arthritis Impact Measurement Scales
SIP - Sickness Impact Profile [see: ZUYD (NL)]
SODA - Sequential Occupational Dexterity Assessment [see: ZUYD (NL)]