Seeing the gaps: a systematic review of visual perception tools for children with hemiplegia
- Auld, M., Boyd, R., Moseley, G. L., and Johnston, L.
- PURPOSE: Visual perception difficulties are common in children with cerebral palsy - hemiplegia, however it is not known which assessment tool is the best for this population. This systematic review evaluates the clinimetric properties of visual perception assessments for children with hemiplegia.
METHOD: Databases were searched for assessments that: (i) measured visual perception; (ii) were reported in studies with children with hemiplegia and (iii) had clinimetric data available to assessors.
RESULTS: Three assessments met criteria: the Test of Visual Perceptual Skills (TVPS), Motor-Free Visual Perceptual Test (MVPT) and Developmental Test of Visual Perception (DTVP). Factor analysis has been completed for the TVPS and DTVP, with both assessments and especially the TVPS, demonstrating some subtests that do not load significantly for the first factor of motor-free visual perception. All three assessments demonstrate variable construct and criterion validity with other clinical assessments. The DTVP, MVPT and TVPS demonstrate high test-retest reliability for total scores, but individual TVPS subtests are less reliable.
CONCLUSIONS: The MVPT and DTVP show the best clinimetric data, however, less research has been completed on these tests than the TVPS. Further research is required to confirm the validity and reliability of the MVPT and DTVP for children with hemiplegia.
- Disabil Rehabil
- 1464-5165 (Electronic)
- Publication year:
- Functional status:
- Physical functioning
- Children (0-18)
- Congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities and related symptoms
Diseases of and symptoms related to the nervous system
- PRO / non-PRO:
- Non-patient Reported Outcome
- Type of measurement instrument:
- 4 - Performance-based tests
6 - Clinical rating scales
7 - Observations
- DTVP - Developmental Test of Visual Perception
MVPT - Motor-free Visual Perceptual Test
TVPS (Also: TVPS-R) - Test of Visual Perceptual Skills (revised)