Systematic review: health-related quality of life (HRQOL) questionnaires in gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- Chassany, O., Holtmann, G., Malagelada, J., Gebauer, U., Doerfler, H., and Devault, K.
- BACKGROUND: Although gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GERD) has a well-established pathophysiology, the impact of GERD symptoms on the patients' quality of life can be profound. Therefore, health-related quality of life (HRQOL) questionnaires have become standard instruments to evaluate the effect of treatment in clinical trials.
AIM: To evaluate the reliability, validity and responsiveness of available GERD-specific HRQOL.
METHODS: A systematic literature search using the Medical Subject Headings terms: 'Gastro-oesophageal reflux', 'Heartburn' and 'Oesophagitis' with 'quality of life' and 'questionnaires' was preformed to identify the available HRQOL questionnaires. To analyse the psychometric properties of the respective tools, the actual guidelines for the use of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials were applied.
RESULTS: We identified five GERD-specific HRQOL questionnaires but none of them fulfilled all quality criteria; either they did not meet the actual standards for psychometric properties (HBQOL, GERD-HRQL, Jasani et al.Aust Fam Physician 1999; 28: 515), or were impracticable to use in clinical trials. The generic and hybrid instruments lack specificity and sensitivity and were not designed for treatment evaluation in GERD patients.
CONCLUSION: There is need for a new evaluative tool in the assessment of HRQOL during GERD therapy.
- Aliment Pharmacol Ther
- 1365-2036 (Electronic)
- Publication year:
- Symptom status:
- Cognitive/mental state
- General health perceptions / HRQoL:
- Health-related quality of life
- Adults (18-65)
- Diseases of and symptoms related to the digestive system
- PRO / non-PRO:
- Patient Reported Outcome
- Type of measurement instrument:
- 1 - Questionnaires
- DIGEST Questionnaire - Domestic/International Gastroenterology Surveillance Study Questionnaire
EQ-5D - EuroQoL-5 Dimensions
GERD-HRQL - Gastro-oesophageal Reflux Disease Health-related Quality of Life
GERQ - Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux Questionnaire
GIQLI - Gastrointestinal Quality of Life Index
GSAS - Gastro-oesophageal Reflux Disease Symptom Assessment Scale
GSRS - Gastrointestinal Symptom Rating Scale
HBQOL - Heartburn Quality of Life Questionnaire
HRQOL batteries - Health Related Quality of Life batteries
PAGI-QOL - Patient Assessment of upper Gastrointestinal disorders
PGWBI - Psychological General Well-Being index [alias: PGWB] (Also: PGWBI-S - short form)
QOLARS - Quality-of-Life questionnaire for patients undergoing Antireflux Surgery
QOLRAD - Quality of Life in Reflux and Dyspepsia
Reflux-Qual - Quality of Life Questionnaire in Gastro-oesophageal Reflux
ReQuest - Reflux Questionnaire
RQS - Reflux-Qual Short-Form
SF-36 - 36-item Short Form Health Survey [alias: RAND-36][alias: Medical Outcomes Study (MOS) SF-36]] | | also see: database.cosmin.nl