Arabic Tools for Assessment of Multidimensions of Pain and Discomfort Related to Cancer
- Nabila, R. and Mimoun, Z.
- BACKGROUND: Cancer is a worldwide health problem. Arabic countries are also concerned and the burden linked to the pain related to cancer is dsiquieting. The aim of this study is to set the panel of valid tools for assessing the multiple dimensions of pain in arabic speaking countries.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: A systematic review on PubMed, Scopus, and Science Direct databases was conducted using as key words cancer, pain and arabic speaking population. The content of 51 articles was studied and nine articles were retained for their relevance for the issue.
RESULTS: We founf eight different questionnaires. MSAS-Leb, EORTC-C30, EORTC- BR23, MDASI, FLIC, and COOP/WONCA are dedicated to physical and psychological dimensions of pain. BPI is centered on direct items for measuring pain accurately. ABQ-II is the unique tool focusing on barriers to cancer pain control. All tools are confirmed valid and reliable in the context studied for assessing pain and disconfort linked to cancer.
CONCLUSIONS: This panel of questionnaires covers all relevant aims for assessing pain in diferent arabic speaking countries with the recommendation of a cultural adaptation to local arabic languages.
- Asian Pac J Cancer Prev
- Publication year:
- Biological and physiological variables:
- Biological and physiological variables
- Symptom status:
- Cognitive/mental state
- Functional status:
- Cognitive/mental functioning
- Overall quality of life:
- Overall quality of life
- Adults (18-65)
- Neoplasms and related symptoms
- PRO / non-PRO:
- Patient Reported Outcome
- Type of measurement instrument:
- 1 - Questionnaires
- ABQ-II - Arabic version Barriers Questionnaire-II
BPI - Brief Pain Inventory
COOP/WONCA charts - COOP/WONCA Functional Healh assessment charts
EORTC QLQ-BR23 - European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaires, specific module to Breast cancer
EORTC QLQ-C30 - European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaires Core-30 item (ALSO shortened version)
FLIC - Functional Living Interview questionnaire for Cancer
MDASI - MD Anderson Symptom Inventory
MSAS - Memorial Symptom Assessment Scale (modifications exist for family caregivers and for hospice staff)