Clinical tools designed to assess motor abilities in children with cerebral palsy
- Pavao, S. L., Silva, F. P., Dusing, S. C., and Rocha, N. A.
- OBJECTIVE: This systematic review aimed to list the tools used by rehabilitation professionals to test motor abilities in children with cerebral palsy (CP), to determine if these tools have psychometric properties specifically measured for CP, and to identify the main characteristics of these tools.
METHOD: Web of Science, PEDro, PubMed/MEDLINE, Science Direct, and SciELO databases were searched to identify the tools. PubMed/MEDLINE was then searched to identify the studies assessing those tools' psychometric properties. The agreement-based standards for the selection of health measurement tools and the Terwee criteria were used to assess the quality and the results of each included study, respectively.
RESULTS: Eighteen tools were identified. The psychometric properties of many of the tools used with children with CP have not been evaluated for this population.
CONCLUSION: The psychometric properties evaluated often have a poor methodological quality of measurement. Overall, we suggest the tools with most empirical support to evaluate children with CP.
- Dev Neurorehabil
- Publication year:
- Functional status:
- Physical functioning
- Children (0-18)
- Diseases of and symptoms related to the nervous system
- PRO / non-PRO:
- Non-patient Reported Outcome
- Type of measurement instrument:
- 4 - Performance-based tests
6 - Clinical rating scales
7 - Observations
- 6MWT - 6-Minute Walk Test |
AHA - Assisting Hand Assessment
BBS - Berg Balance Scale
BSID-II - Bayley Scales of Infant Development II
COPM - Canadian Occupational Performance Measure
FMS - Functional Mobility Scale
FRT - Functional Reach Test
GAS - Goal Attainment Scale
GMFM - Gross Motor Function Measure (Also: GMFM-88 - 88-item version and GMFM-66 - 66-item version)
GMPM - Gross Motor Performance Measure
PBS - Pediatric Balance Scale
PDMS - Peabody Developmental Motor Scales
PEDI - Pediatric Evaluation of Disability Inventory
PMAL - Pediatric Motor Activity Log
SFA - School Function Assessment
TUDS - Timed Up-and-Down Stairs
TUG - Timed Up and Go test
WeeFIM - Functional Independence Measure for Children [alias: PFIM - Pediatric Functional Independence Measure]