Evaluation of measurement properties of self-administered PROMs aimed at patients with non-specific shoulder pain and "activity limitations": a systematic review
- Thoomes-de Graaf, M., Scholten-Peeters, G. G., Schellingerhout, J. M., Bourne, A. M., Buchbinder, R., Koehorst, M., Terwee, C. B., and Verhagen, A. P.
- OBJECTIVE: To critically appraise and compare the measurement properties of self-administered patient-reported outcome measures (PROMs) focussing on the shoulder, assessing "activity limitations."
STUDY DESIGN: Systematic review. The study population had to consist of patients with shoulder pain. We excluded postoperative patients or patients with generic diseases. The methodological quality of the selected studies and the results of the measurement properties were critically appraised and rated using the COSMIN checklist.
RESULTS: Out of a total of 3427 unique hits, 31 articles, evaluating 7 different questionnaires, were included. The SPADI is the most frequently evaluated PROM and its measurement properties seem adequate apart from a lack of information regarding its measurement error and content validity.
CONCLUSION: For English, Norwegian and Turkish users, we recommend to use the SPADI. Dutch users could use either the SDQ or the SST. In German, we recommend the DASH. In Tamil, Slovene, Spanish and the Danish languages, the evaluated PROMs were not yet of acceptable validity. None of these PROMs showed strong positive evidence for all measurement properties. We propose to develop a new shoulder PROM focused on activity limitations, taking new knowledge and techniques into account.
- Qual Life Res
- Publication year:
- Symptom status:
- Physical state
- Functional status:
- Physical functioning
- Adults (18-65)
- Diseases of and symptoms related to the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue
- PRO / non-PRO:
- Patient Reported Outcome
- Type of measurement instrument:
- 1 - Questionnaires
- DASH - Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand [see: ZUYD (NL)]
Quick DASH - Quick Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand [see: ZUYD (NL)]
SDQ - Shoulder Disability Questionnaire [see: ZUYD (NL)]
SDQ-UK - Shoulder Disability Questionnaire UK
SPADI - Shoulder Pain and Disability Index [see: ZUYD (NL)]
SRQ - Shoulder Rating Questionnaire [see: ZUYD (NL)]
SST - Simple Shoulder Test [see: ZUYD (NL)]