Measurement properties of maximal cardiopulmonary exercise tests protocols in persons after stroke: A systematic review
- Wittink, H., Verschuren, O., Terwee, C., de Groot, J., Kwakkel, G., and van de Port, I.
- OBJECTIVE: To systematically review and critically appraise the literature on measurement properties of cardiopulmonary exercise test protocols for measuring aerobic capacity, VO2max, in persons after stroke.
DATA SOURCES: PubMed, Embase and Cinahl were searched from inception up to 15 June 2016. A total of 9 studies were identified reporting on 9 different cardiopulmonary exercise test protocols.
STUDY SELECTION: VO2max measured with cardiopulmonary exercise test and open spirometry was the construct of interest. The target population was adult persons after stroke. We included all studies that evaluated reliability, measurement error, criterion validity, content validity, hypothesis testing and/or responsiveness of cardiopulmonary exercise test protocols.
DATA EXTRACTION: Two researchers independently screened the literature, assessed methodological quality using the COnsensus-based Standards for the selection of health Measurement INstruments checklist and extracted data on measurement properties of cardiopulmonary exercise test protocols.
DATA SYNTHESIS: Most studies reported on only one measurement property. Best-evidence synthesis was derived taking into account the methodological quality of the studies, the results and the consistency of the results.
CONCLUSION: No judgement could be made on which protocol is "best" for measuring VO2max in persons after stroke due to lack of high-quality studies on the measurement properties of the cardiopulmonary exercise test.
- J Rehabil Med
- Publication year:
- Biological and physiological variables:
- Biological and physiological variables
- Functional status:
- Physical functioning
- Adults (18-65)
- Diseases of and symptoms related to the circulatory system
- PRO / non-PRO:
- Non-patient Reported Outcome
- Type of measurement instrument:
- 4 - Performance-based tests
6 - Clinical rating scales