A systematic review of quality of thyroid-specific health-related quality-of-life instruments recommends ThyPRO for patients with benign thyroid diseases
- Wong, C. K., Lang, B. H., and Lam, C. L.
- OBJECTIVES: To appraise the measurement properties of thyroid-specific health-related quality-of-life (HRQOL) instruments and to provide recommendations on the choice of HRQOL instruments.
STUDY DESIGN AND SETTING: Systematic review of English-language literature published between 1993 and 2015 identified psychometric studies involving patients with thyroid disease through a search of Pubmed, Web of Science, Embase, and OVID MEDLINE. HRQOL instruments were graded on methodological quality and overall levels of evidence using a COSMIN checklist.
RESULTS: After a review of 742 original studies, 23 studies reporting 14 standardized HRQOL instruments targeted for Graves' ophthalmopathy (n = 4), hypothyroidism (n = 3), thyroid cancer (n = 2), other thyroid disease (n = 3), and nonthyroid tumor sites (n = 2) were identified. Hypothesis testing was evaluated most frequently. The 84-item thyroid-specific patient-reported outcome measure (ThyPRO) and 16-item Graves' ophthalmopathy-specific Quality-of-Life (GO-QOL) instruments were the most extensively evaluated instrument. The highest number of positive ratings in overall level of psychometric evidence was found in ThyPRO, GO-QOL, and 11-item Thyroid Treatment Satisfaction Questionnaire (ThyTSQ) instruments.
CONCLUSION: The ThyPRO is recommended for the assessment of HRQOL in patients with benign thyroid diseases while measurement properties of GO-QOL and ThyTSQ are satisfactory in measuring HRQOL of patients with Graves' ophthalmopathy and hypothyroidism, respectively.
- J Clin Epidemiol
- Publication year:
- Functional status:
- Cognitive/mental functioning
- General health perceptions / HRQoL:
- Health-related quality of life
- Adults (18-65)
- Diseases of and symptoms related to the blood and blood-forming organs and certain disorders involving the immune mechanism
Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases and related symptoms
Neoplasms and related symptoms
- PRO / non-PRO:
- Patient Reported Outcome
- Type of measurement instrument:
- 1 - Questionnaires
- EORTC QLQ-C30 - European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaires Core-30 item (ALSO shortened version)
EORTC QLQ-H&N35 - European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaires Head & Neck 35
HCQ - Hyperthyroidism Complaint Questionnaire
MDASI-THY - MD Anderson Symptom Inventory-Thyroid Cancer module
NEI VFQ-25 - 25-item National Eye Institute Visual Function Questionnaire
TED-QOL - Thyroid Eye Disease Quality of Life
THYCA-QoL - Thyroid Cancer survivors Quality of Life questionnaire
ThyDQoL - Underactive Thyroid-Dependent Quality-of-Life Questionnaire
ThyPRO - Thyroid-specific Patient-Reported Outcome measure
ThySRQ - Underactive Thyroid Symptom Rating Questionnaire
ThyTSQ - Thyroid Treatment Satisfaction Questionnaire
WSCI-T - Western Surgical Concern Inventory-Thyroid