Quality criteria and user-friendliness in self-reported questionnaires on cancer-related fatigue: a review
- Agasi-Idenburg, C., Velthuis, M., and Wittink, H.
- OBJECTIVE: Cancer-related fatigue (CRF) is a distressing, persistent, subjective sense of tiredness or exhaustion that occurs in 70-100% of cancer patients. The purpose of this review was to provide an overview of the quality of research performed on existing CRF self-report questionnaires and compare their reported psychometric properties and user-friendliness.
METHODS: Database searches of CINAHL, Cochrane Library, EMBASE, MEDLINE, Scopus, PEDro, and PsycINFO were undertaken to find published scales. Standardized criteria were used to assess quality and user-friendliness.
RESULTS: Thirty-five articles were included that described 18 questionnaires-seven one-dimensional questionnaires and 11 multidimensional questionnaires. The mean item count was 20.8 (range: 3-83). The mean overall score of the one-dimensional questionnaires was 10.4 of a maximum of 18 points (range: 7.6-14.3). The mean overall score of the multidimensional questionnaires was 9.4 of a maximum of 18 points (range: 4.3-14.4).
CONCLUSION: Recommendations were made for the selection of a scale. We argue in favor of repeatedly reassessing psychometric properties of even established questionnaires to ensure they comply with evermore increasing stringent quality criteria.
- J Clin Epidemiol
- 1878-5921 (Electronic)
- Publication year:
- Symptom status:
- Cognitive/mental state
- Functional status:
- Cognitive/mental functioning
- Adults (18-65)
- Neoplasms and related symptoms
- PRO / non-PRO:
- Patient Reported Outcome
- Type of measurement instrument:
- 1 - Questionnaires
- BFI - Brief Fatigue Inventory
CFS - Cancer Fatigue Scale
CRFDS - Cancer-Related Fatigue Distress Scale
EORTC QLQ-C30-FS - European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaires Core-30 item-Fatigue Subscale
FACIT-Fatigue - Functional Assessment of Chronic Illness Therapy- Fatigue Scale
FFIS - Fatigue Functional Impact Scale
FSI - Fatigue Symptom Inventory
MFI - Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory (also version with 20 items - MFI-20) [see: ZUYD (NL)]
MFSI - Multidimensional Fatigue Symptom Inventory
MFSI-SF - Multidimensional Fatigue Symptom Inventory-Short Form
NQAPPCRF - New Questionnaire to Assess Patient Perceptions of Cancer-Related Fatigue
PFS - Piper Fatigue Scale (Also: PFS-revised)
SCFS-6 - Schwartz Cancer Fatigue Scale-Short form
SCFS - Schwartz Cancer Fatigue Scale
WCFS - Wu Cancer Fatigue Scale